We all get bored once in a while or feel like we’re stuck in a rut. But what can you do about it? Here are 101 fun everyday things anyone can do to shake things up a bit.
Bored? Stuck in a rut? Daring Adventures for the unadventurous.
There’s no shame in feeling bored. It’s a universal experience almost everyone suffers from in the course of their lives.
What is boredom?
Some of the greatest thinkers in the history of humanity have tried to solve the puzzle of boredom including Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard (1813–1855).
Kierkegaard believed “boredom was the root of all evil” and so boredom must be avoided at all costs.
He defined boredom as a sense of emptiness and examines it not as an absence of stimulation but as an absence of meaning.
In other words, boredom isn’t always caused by a lack of things to do. It’s usually a sign of another root problem, which isn’t always easy to describe or identify.
Sometimes boredom is a fleeting response to a circumstance. Sometimes it’s a symptom of your ongoing existential crisis (what does it all mean?). Or boredom could be the consequence of unfulfilled aspirations.
How to eliminate boredom (rotation method)
Søren Kierkegaard’s solution to boredom was the “rotation method”. He likened his method to crop rotation in agriculture where farmers change the method of cultivation and type of crops rather than “changing the soil.
By constantly rotating from one thing to another, as farmers turn over the soil to cultivate crops, you can avoid the feeling of boredom if done in limitation. This method of rotation promotes going deep with intensity rather than wide.
- Some companies practise something called “Job Rotation“. It’s a practice where management moves employees between two or more jobs or assignments at regular intervals to reduce the boredom employees’ experience from doing the same job every day and to explore an employee’s hidden potential.
- If someone is bored in their marriage, typically they would try to mix things up a bit rather than change partners.
- If you’re bored cooking the same type of food every day, you might learn to cook different ethnic foods.
And if you’re bored with your life, ask yourself, what is meaningful for you? Find something you’ll love to do and do them.
Don’t coast through life waiting for life to come to you.
If you’ve ever asked yourself, “why am I so boring?” or wondered “how to be less boring,” you’re not alone. Here is what years of experiments, trial and error have unearthed for me. I hope my story and some of the things I list in this article give you some ideas and help with your particular situation.
Everyday adventure ideas to combat boredom.
Here is a list of 101 simple adventures anyone can do to beat that boredom and get out of your rut.
- Make your own cheese
- Try a food you’ve never tried before.
- Go mushroom foraging as the French do.
- Attend local food, wine or music festivals
- Make your own beer (easier than you think)
- Make your own wine
- Learn to sign (ASL or another language)
- Become a connoisseur of wine
- Go vegan for a week or more.
- Change your eating habits: detox or fast for 24, 48 or 72 hours drinking only water.
- Make an herb garden
- Grow your own tomatoes or veggies
- Learn to make sushi.
- Start urban foraging.
- Eat pancakes for dinner and or pizza for breakfast.
- Teach people English online
- Learn French or another language.
- Learn to read braille
- Adopt a pet- Rescue a dog or cat from an animal shelter.
- Look for a new job
- Change careers even if you don’t know what to do.
Activities and Travel Adventures
- Take a virtual visit: Here is the Chateau Versaille virtual visit
- Apply for citizenship through descent to another country
- Get a second passport.
- Take a train somewhere, anywhere.
- Go glamping or camp in your backyard.
- Travel somewhere where they speak another language.
- Volunteer abroad in exchange for free room and board. Workaway is a good place to start looking.
- Visit a hookah lounge.
- Try geocaching.
- Host a couchsurfer or become a couch surfer
- Go to a jazz bar
- Go to a karaoke bar
- Go to a museum
- Go to the circus: see the cirque du Soleil.
- Go to a concert, musical or play.
- Take a midnight bike ride with friends or family (bring a flashlight)
- Watch a foreign film in another language you’re learning.
- Learn calligraphy
- Make a bucket list of places you want to visit and a plan to do it.
Craft and Hobby Adventures
- Build something
- Start crafting: Go to Pinterest.com and search for inspiration.
- Learn to weld and make something useful
- Learn to play an instrument (violin, ukelele, guitar, piano)
- Learn to take beautiful pictures
- Learn to sew your own clothes
- learn to crochet or knit
- Learn to play
- Learn to play mahjong
- Make a terrarium
Health, Beauty Adventures
- Start a capsule wardrobe in a certain style, preppy, hipster, à la Française?
- Change your look, your haircut, hair colour etc.
- Learn to meditate
- Ride your bike to work
- Take up kickboxing, tai chi or karate
- Take up jogging
- Set a workout goal. (lose 10 pounds, 100 pushups, do the splits or a handstand)
- Go to the driving range and hit a bucket of balls
- Become certified at yoga, Zumba or scuba diving.
- Learn to dance a certain style (belly dancing, salsa, swing, hip hop)
- Take up hiking
Games, Hobby and Activity Adventures
- Learn to be a better photographer
- Learn to fly a drone
- Become an author: Start writing a book
- Learn to solve a Rubik’s cube
- Throw a video game competition
- learn to identify all the birds in your backyard
- Learn and find constellations like the big dipper
Learning, Education and Personal Development Adventures
- GET TEFL certified and teach English
- Learn to sing.
- Find a cause you’re passionate about and get involved.
- Read the entire Bible or Koran.
- Learn to write with your other hand
- Get a second degree by going to night college or earn it online.
- Make a goal to read more books and leave reviews for others online.
- Become a history buff of anything
- Join a book club
- Learn HTML
- Become an expert at something
Work and Entrepreneurial Adventures
- Become an internet entrepreneur
- Find a mentor to help you do something you want to do.
- Join a mastermind group
- START A BLOG about something you’re passionate about! Like I did.
- Apply for a job in another country
- Take a career break or gap year and do something worthwhile.
- Write a love letter to someone you love
- Call someone you haven’t heard from or spoken to in a while. Maybe plans to meet.
- Send a care package to someone
- Go skinny dipping with someone (or alone)
- Find a penpal and write handwritten letters to each other.
- Plan something special for someone just because
- Watch aeroplanes take off and land up close.
- Take a walk through a graveyard at night.
- Carve your names in a tree
- Donate blood
- Get a tattoo, get a French-inspired tattoo.
- Organize and declutter your home: then sell your things at a flea market or garage sale
- Find religion
- Try some Pinterest hacks
- Make an entertaining answering machine message.
Sharing is caring: Please consider sharing this pin on Pinterest