Bonjour mes chers amis! “hello my dear friends”
The French language has hundreds of cute, romantic and quirky pet names and terms of endearment to express love and affection. Many of which are unique only to the French language.
Some French terms of endearment and French nicknames translate to the English language seamlessly, like “mon ange” which means “my angel.”
Some French terms of endearment are nonsensical and don’t translate very well such as “mon bibou.”
And some French terms of endearment to express love and affection will seem a bit strange such as “Mon chou” which means “My cabbage”.
Sweetheart in French and how to use this list of French pet name
Whether you’re a novice French language learner looking for some cute French expressions to call your boyfriend or you’re a professional French teacher looking for new lesson ideas to teach your class, or on language learning platforms such as Preply, this extensive list of French terms of endearment has got a little bit of everything for everyone.
The important thing to remember is most French terms of endearment can be used in the same way you would use sweetheart, honey, darling or sweetie.
For example, if you want to say my darling, honey or sweetheart in French, you can use any of the following terms of endearment.
“My sweetheart in French”
- Chéri(e): French couples might call each other Chéri(e).
- Do you want to go to the movies Mon Prince? (My Prince)
- Come here Ma Belle (beautiful)
“Hello my love in French”
Another example is “Bonjour mon amour.” Although it means Hello my love in French, it can be used just as you would use sweetheart, darling, honey, shnookums, snuggly bunny.. you get the point right?
It might feel strange to use some of these pet names since they are in another language, but they’ll soon become second nature if you give it a chance…
French Terms Of Endearment List
Top 10 most common or popular French terms of endearment
The following ten terms of endearment are fairly common and very versatile. You can use them on your boyfriend, girlfriend, kids, husband, wife, lover etc. You can even use them with an extremely very close friend.
#10 is the exception: Mon Cher and Ma Chère, which mean “my dear.”
- 1-Chèrie (f) or (m) Chèri = My sweetheart or darling— for someone who you are very close to and love. French couples often call one another Chèri(e).
- 2-Mon Chou = My cabbage
Literally means my cabbage but “chou” can also refer to a French cream-puff called “Chou Chantilly.”
- 3-ChouChou = Cabbage Cabbage
- 4- Mon ange = My angel (for men and women)
- 5-Mon bébé or just bébé = My baby (Used like it is in English, “hey babe or hey baby”)
- 6-Mon coeur= My heart
- 7-Doudou = My blankie or cuddly thing
- 8-Mon trésor = My treasure
- 9- Mon amour =My love
CHER and CHÈRE explained: DEAR
- 10- chère(f), cher (m) = Dear
Less formal and not as intimate asChèri(e)
Dear John: French people often write cher or chère on letters just like English speakers would write “Dear” in a letter.
Hello, my dear: You could also use this when talking to someone you appreciate or respect, such as a teacher or family friend. Hello, my dear.
Bonjour mon trèsor = Hello, my treasure.
Bonjour ma chére = Hello my dear.
Merci ma chérie = Thank you my darling or sweetheart
A bientôt mon chéri= See you soon my darling or darling
Jet’aime mon coeur =I love you my heart (It’s like saying I love you, my darling.
Chou Chou, ou t’es parti? = Sweety, where did you go?
You might be interested in reading
French Terms Of Endearment TO USE ON HIM, HER or THE KIDS
Not as popular or less common than the top 10 pet names and terms of endearment I listed above however these all more or less have the same meaning— honey, sweetie, darling and shnookums etc.
- 11- Ma puce =My flea
- 12- Ptit loup= little wolf
- 13- Mon colibri = My hummingbird
- 14- Mon lapin = My rabbit
- 15- Mon Lapinou =My bunny
- 16- Mon Minou = My kitty
- 17- Mon poussin = My chick (as in baby chick)
- 18-Mon biquet = My lamb
- 19- Mon trognon = My apple core or fruit core
- 20- Mamour = contraction of “mon amour” from top 10 list above which means “my love”
Tu est mon petit trognon = You are my little apple core (my aunt said my grandfather used to call her this when she was a child).
(21 – 39)
French Terms Of Endearment TO SAY TO MEN or BOYS
Here are a few pet names and terms of endearment which you can use not only on your boyfriend or husband but also your son’s. My favourite is “Mon LouLou.”
Again, these all have the general meaning of sweety, hun or darling.
- 21- Mon Petitou= My little everything (shortened from “petit tout” for boys)
- 22- Mon Titou= My little boy (difficult to explain-derived from petitou above.
- 23- Mon petit chou= My little cabbage
- 24- Mon beau= My handsome
- 25- Mon petit loup = My little wolf
- 26- Mon nounours = My teddy bear or plushy
- 27- Mon Poulet = My chicken
- 28- Mon râleur = My grumpy or complainer
- 29- Mon homme = My man
- 30- Mon loulou = My Pomeranian ( cute, cuddly and carried around)
- 31- Mon grand = My big guy
- 32- Mon Vieux = My old one (but closer to “big guy” in meaning)
- 33- Mon Bébé d’amour = My love baby
- 34- Mon Bibou= Means something like “smoopy poop”
- 35- Mon pétard = Idiomatically can mean my sweetie but literally means my gun or my joint.
- 36- Mon petit monstre = My little monster (great for the kids)
- 37- Mon vilain = My naughty one (another good one for the kids)
- 38- Mon ours = My bear
- 39- Mon petit caneton = My little duckling
Viens içi mon vieux = Come here big guy but literally mean “my old”
Regardez mon râleur = Look at my little complainer
French Terms Of Endearment for her: SAY to women or girls
Here are a few things you can say to your girlfriend, wife, daughter or other young girls. “Ma Princesse” is a common one for girls.
- 40- Ma colombe=My dove
- 41- Ma crevette= My shrimp
- 42- Ma poule = My chicken
- 43- Ma truffe= My truffle
- 44- Ma choupinette =Closest meaning is cute
- 45- Ma cocotte =My casserole
- 46- Ma douce =My sweet
- 47- Ma fée = My fairy
- 48- Ma lolita = My lolita
- 49- Ma loulotte = No translation, similar to the male version of Mon loulou
- 50- Ma lutine = My elf, or maybe pixie
- 51- Ma pépette = Literally means “dough” as in money but is used to refer to a pretty girl you can say “ma petite pépette” —a tender name for a young child.
- 52- Ma petite sirène = My little mermaid
- 53- Ma poupée = My little doll
- 54- Ma poupette = derived from poupée, my dolly
- 55- Ma princesse= My princess
- 56- Ma tigresse = My tigress
- 57- Mon papillon = My butterfly
- 58- Ma grosse = My fat one (Not very complimentary)
- 59- Mon bijou= My jewel
- 60- Ma belle = My pretty like the Beatles song “Michelle, ma belle”
- 61- Ma bohême = My bohemian
- 62- Ma râleuse = My grumpy or my complainer
- 63- Ma bibiche = derived from biche
- 64- Ma biche = My doe, as in do a dear
- 65- Ma bichette = derived from doe as in dear.
- 66- Ma coccinelles = My ladybug
Elle est ma petite poupette: she is my little doll
French Terms Of Endearment that can be used romantically and affectionately
The French terms of endearment below can be used romantically with that special someone and with your kids in a lovey-dovey way. For instance, “Mon Amour” which means my love, can be used for your kids or your boyfriend.
- 67 -Mon étoile = My star
- 68 -Ma raison de vivre = My reason for living
- 69 -Mon ciel étoilé = My starry sky
- 70 -L’amour de ma vie = Love of my life
- 71 -Ma foi = My faith
- 72 -Ma force = My strength
- 73 -Ma moitié = MY half (similar to my better half)
- 74 -Ma passion = My passion
- 75 -Ma perfection = My perfection
- 76 -Ma raison d’être = My reason for being
- 77 -Mon Amour = My love (this extremely popular)
- 78 -Mon Amoureux = My lover
- 79 -Mon avenir = My future
- 80 -Mon bonheur = My happiness
- 81 -Mon désir = My desire
- 82 -Mon destin = My destiny
- 83 -Mon Essentiel = My essential
- 84 -Mon Exception = My exception
- 85 -Mon idéal = My ideal
- 86 -Mon indispensable = My essential or indispensable one
- 87 -Mon plaisir quotidien = My daily pleasure
- 88 -Mon préféré = My preferred one
- 89 -Mon rayon de soleil = MY ray of sunshine
- 90 -Mon rêve = My dream
- 91 -Mon souffle = My breath
- 92 -Mon prince = My prince
- 93 -Mon roméo = My Romeo
- 94 -Mon superman = My Superman
Elle est mon rayon de soleil = She is my ray of sunshine
French terms of endearment you may find STRANGE or RISQUÉ
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
I saved the best or worst for last depending on how you look at it. The following terms of endearment are probably going to sound raunchy or dirty to you. Nevertheless, they are terms of endearment used by some French people.
- 95-Ma crotte = Literally means my turd. Belgians use this to refer to their women, like Ma chérie.
- 96- Ma quequette =A childish or cute name for a penis, like willy. My girlfriend sometimes calls me this. weird right?
- 97- Ma nénette and Ma Salope = Nénette can mean slut but can also mean chick or broad. Salope can also mean slut, but here, it can also mean “My Bitch.”
- 98- Ma chatte = Be careful! This means pussycat, and it has the same double meaning in English “pussy.”
- 99- Ma couille =Literally means my testicle, but young men use it to refer to their friends, like “hey dickhead,” only it would be “hey testicle.” LOL
- 100- Mon petit poil de cul = Literally means “my little butt hair.” To be honest, no one I know uses this. I found this on a French forum from someone who said she uses this to address her boyfriend.
- 101- Mon Dieu de sexe =My sex god. Don’t use in public unless you want to perk up their ears and get a smile.
There you have it mes chers. There are probably 100’s more French terms of endearment that I could have included, but these should take you a while to memorize.